Monday, August 8, 2016

Burlap Mermaid Wreath


For any of you that live in damp or tropical environments, you may have seen your burlap wreaths start to turn a little yellow or green with all of the moisture (and pollen) we have in our air. Rather than create a new burlap wreath from scratch, I figured why not try to spruce it up a bit with a coastal feel - whitewash!

I did not want the wreaths to be white, but wanted to give them a little bit of a clean, fresh look. I used a can of spray paint and lightly sprayed each of the wreaths. I let them dry for about 30 minutes, then checked to see if I needed to add another coat. I did, so another coat and voila. "Spruced-up Wreaths".


When I was at Michael's recently, I noticed that they had wood cutouts on the same aisle with all of their wood letters. There were anchors, Fleur De Lis, peace signs, hearts, stars, and a mermaid. 

I brought the mermaid wood cutout home with me and gave her 3 coats of acrylic white paint - on all sides, don't forget to paint the edges! The three coats of paint gave the cutout a really nice crisp white color.


Since I change my burlap wreath decor often, I did not want to permanently attach the mermaid. I chose to wrap a piece of jute rope around her waist and around the wreath. This allows me to remove the mermaid when I want and, since I have two wreaths, re-position as necessary so that the mermaids are even once I put the wreaths on my front door.



Burlap Mermaid Wreath Materials

  • Burlap Wreath (or use these instructions to make a burlap wreath)
  • White Spray Paint
  • Wood cutout 
  • White acrylic paint (or paint color of your choice)
  • Medium paint brush
  • Jute rope
  1. Paint your cutout with three coats of acrylic paint, the color of your choice. Allow to dry for a day or two in between coats. Allow to dry for several days after the last coat to make sure that there is a good seal of paint on the wood.
  2. Create or paint your burlap wreath with the spray paint. Allow to dry in between coats so that you know how many coats to apply until you reach your desired look.
  3. Using the jute rope, attach the mermaid cutout to your wreath. Re-position as necessary until you are happy with the results.
  4. Hang and enjoy your simple, spruced-up burlap wreath!


I partied this wreath here:


No comments:

Post a Comment