- 2 slices bacon
- 1 large onion chopped (or 2 small farmer's market sweet onions, with greens included)
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper optional
- 1 bunch collard greens washed and torn
- In a large cast iron or enameled pot, cook bacon over medium-high heat until crisp. Remove bacon from pan.
- Allow bacon to cool, then crumble and set aside.
- Add onion and garlic to drippings in pan. Cook over medium heat 5 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in crumbled bacon, water, brown sugar, cider vinegar, and salt. Add crushed red pepper if you choose. Gradually add greens.
- Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 2-3 hours or until tender.